The vision in the New Zealand Curriculum "is for young people:
- who will be creative, energetic and enterprising
- who will seize the opportunities offered by new knowledge and technologies to secure a sustainable social, cultural, economic and environmental future for our country
- who will work to create an Aotearoa New Zealand in which Maori and Pakeha recognise each other as full treaty partners, and in which all cultures are valued for the contributions they bring
- who, in their school years, will continue to develop the values, knowledge and competencies that will enable them to live full and satisfying lives
- who will be confident, connected, actively involved and lifelong learners."
As an important part of fulfilling this mission, and realising the vision, we are pleased to be able to offer you an extensive range of subjects.
All Year 9 and 10 students follow a compulsory programme in English, Mathematics, Science, Social Sciences, Health and Physical Education. They also choose nine option subjects covering the other three learning areas. Each of these nine subjects is studied for a trimester (approximately twelve weeks). In Year 10 students follow a compulsory programme in English, Mathematics, Science, Social Sciences, Health and Physical Education and select option subjects from a wide range of choices.
In Year 11 and 12, students choose 6 subjects for full year study and 5 subjects in Year 13. These courses lead to higher national qualifications at both academic and vocational levels.
Follow the link to view our courses available by year level https://wghs.schoolpoint.co.nz/courses/learning_ar...