The mission of Whangarei Girls' High School is "We provide opportunities for the students in our all girls' school to be outstanding young women who will leave us well prepared for the next step in their lives, ready to make a positive contribution to society."
The vision in the new curriculum "is for young people:
- who will be creative, energetic and enterprising
- who will seize the opportunities offered by new knowledge and technologies to secure a sustainable social, cultural, economic and environmental future for our country
- who will work to create an Aotearoa New Zealand in which Maori and Pakeha recognise each other as full treaty partners, and in which all cultures are valued for the contributions they bring
- who, in their school years, will continue to develop the values, knowledge and competencies that will enable them to live full and satisfying lives
- who will be confident, connected, actively involved and lifelong learners."
As an important part of fulfilling this mission, and realising the vision, we are pleased to be able to offer you an extensive range of subjects.
Year 9 and 10 students have a wide sampling from all the essential learning areas of the National Curriculum, and this gives each student a sound foundation for informed choices in the Senior School.
All Year 9 students follow a compulsory programme in English, Mathematics, Science, Social Sciences, Health & Physical Education, Art and Technology. They also choose two option subjects. In Year 10 students follow a compulsory programme in English, Mathematics, Science, Social Sciences, Health & Physical education and select option subjects from a wide range of choices.
In Year 11 and 12, students choose 6 subjects for full year study and 5 subjects in Year 13. These courses lead to higher national qualifications at both academic and vocational levels.